Monday, November 19, 2007

Ohio State Love.

I'll tell the story of my love for Ohio State and how it began. Ever since I was a little kid, my dad would listen to college football games on the radio. He is a farmer so when I would ride with him in the combine and tractors on a Saturday afternoon he would put on a Michigan, Michigan State, or Ohio State game depending on who was playing. He was always careful to tell me, that he was listening because he supported the Big 10 conference. He would always get a little extra excited when Ohio State played, but being a seven year old and a girl I never really understood it. Until I was 12, and my dad, grandpa, uncles, cousins, my sisters, and I went to a huge Ohio State vs. Michigan party. We grew up without a tv, so I had never seen them play before, but as I watched that game, and saw The Horsehoe, and the colors, and just took in all the excitement, I knew that I would always bleed scarley and grey. Plus I didn't like the color scheme for Michigan, so I grew quickly to dislike them, and I thought Lloyd Carr was ugly. I was 12 what can I say? Anyways, from that point on Saturday afternoons and nights were reserved for me to listen to the Ohio State game, and I cheered on many buckeyes, including Eddie George in his terrific game against Illinois, and Orlando Pace, Joe Germaine and the Ohio State vs ASU Rosebowl game in 1996, Andy Katzenmoyer, a great fake punt, Steve Bellisari, and the 2002/2003 National Championship Season. That season was unexpected and AMAZING. I watched every single game on tv, and celebrated like you wouldn't believe the night that Ohio State beat Miami(Fl) in double overtime. And watching them now, I can't help but wonder what does the rest of this season hold in store? I bet if Woody Hayes was still alive, he would be proud, and Jim Tressel is certainly bringing sexy back to college football with sweater vest and tie. No matter what happens, even when they have losing seasons, and even when they were getting beat up by Michigan year after year I chose to cheer for a team that has great history, great players, and great fans. I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. Go Buckeyes!

And now we are 6-1 out against Michigan in the last 7 years! Go Buckeyes!

No comments: