Monday, September 14, 2009

The Start of Something New

So I am trying a new thing called 365 Pictures Daily Prompt. So you look at a picture and you discuss what is going on. In this particular picture there is an elderly man sitting on the edge of his bathtub in the "thinking man" pose. Many of you are probably aware of the famous thinking man sculpture. Of course the question or prompt is "What was/is the thinking man really thinking about?"

I of course am quite familiar with this particular sculpture, because the university I attend has a large replica in front of one of our buildings. I often wonder as I walk past it, what he is thinking about. Sometimes I think he is watching all the college students walk by and is wondering about the wide variety of people he sees on a daily basis. Sometimes I project my thoughts onto him, such as, "man I could really go for a burrito right about now." I of course know that Alfred (which I have dubbed "thinking man"), couldn't possibly be thinking that since he has no lips.

As I contemplate this more and more, I am lead to one belief. I am glad that I do not know what Alfred is thinking. I believe that our inner thoughts, ramblings, meanderings, and all the things we as humans are prone to do, are very private. I struggle enough with my own thoughts and beliefs, that I don't think I could handle another person's beliefs and thoughts about something as well. As much as it is annoying sometimes to not know what is going on in someone else's head, it is also a gift I believe.

As I endeavor on this journey of writing one blog post a year for 365, I wonder how it will help me in my writing. I feel that taking 5 or 10 minutes out of my day to write about random topics will not only incite my creativity, but it will help me as a future English/Grammar/Writing teacher in the future. Will I make some grammar mistakes and have some misspellings? I'm sure of that;but,putting pen to paper, or in this case fingers to keyboard, will serve as future inspiration...

No comments: